Sunday, November 18, 2012

What Does it Mean: To be Dead to Sin?

The Bible has multiple verses which indicate we are to be dead to sin. Two of them are Rom 6:2 and Rom 6:11, which follow (with a little context):
Rom 6:1   What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
Rom 6:2   God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
Rom 6:11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

One of the greatest divisions within Christianity is in the understanding of what sin is. If you look up the greek word that was translated into English as, "sin", you'll find several similar meanings. (Go here for a thorough definition.)  Most people who've done ONLY this part come away with the idea that it means to err or miss the mark. Now that doesn't seem too hard to understand, does it? The trouble is that what you get from the dictionary is only a short explanation of the meaning behind the word in Greek as it existed when Christ took on flesh and preached among us. However, Christ didn't just leave the word as he found it. Rather, he (and his followers) added meaning to that original context.

When you read the Bible to see what it was that the Bible means with the word sin in the context of what Christ meant with it, you can look at James 4:17 since that verse tells what sin is. That verse says, "Therefore to him that knows to do good, and does [it] not, to him it is sin." Notice that it says, "to him" it is sin. Why? There's the idea of the importance of intentions. We see this importance also in Mat 5:28, where Jesus tells us, "But I say unto you, That whosoever looks on a woman to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart." The part where it says, "to lust after her" shows us that it is not the looking which is sin (adultery), but rather that the intentions are the problem.  If a man is in a crowd of people looking for his wife or daughter and sees a bunch of women who are neither his wife nor his daughter, he has not sinned because of having looked at a bunch of women...unless he has intended to lust after them. The importance of intentions are also evident in Luke 6:45 which states, "A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks." So, when you read the Bible, keep in mind that the word "sin" was not used the same way in all places. Think about what was meant by it. Is a particular text speaking about any mistake you make, or only mistakes with wrong intentions?

My point here is that if your ultimate goal in life is to serve God rather than to serve self, then ultimately, your intentions will be right. Then, when you look at people, whether you are a man looking at women or a woman looking at men, your intention will be to be a servant of others rather than to be trying to get what isn't rightfully yours. If your ultimate goal is to serve God, then when you realize you've done something God didn't want you to do, you will fix your course and again serve God (that's repentance). If you believe in God, and are intent upon serving him, then he will forgive you for your past sins (if you ask). Then, he can also cleanse your conscience of your past misdeeds. From this perspective, God is not being unreasonable when he tells us to "be perfect even as the father in heaven is perfect," because he isn't telling us to never again make a mistake, rather he is telling us to follow after him and give up all wrong-doing in our lives. This is what is meant by being "dead to sin." Using only the meaning of, "to miss the mark, to err" it is completely impossible to ever "stop sinning," like Jesus commands us to do in numerous places (see John 5:14 and 8:11 for examples). If, though, Jesus only meant to live up to the truth that we know, every one of us can do that by simply asking Jesus to cleanse our consciences and give us right intentions. Then we can act out of those right motives and have confidence before God.

Now, you have a choice to make: Are you going to go through the rest of life simply saying, "No one is perfect," and therefore thinking that it doesn't make any difference how you actually live since you can't be perfect anyway? Or are you going to give up serving self and live your life to serve Christ thereby doing what is right?

Has this post been helpful to you? Am I being ridiculous? Have I neglected to take something into account and you can help me grow closer to Christ by correcting me? I'll be O.k. with your comments regardless of whether you like or hate my views. Let me know what you think. I value your feedback. Thanks and God bless.

4 comments:

  1. I think the above is on the mark (instead of missing it like sin). I know I struggle with sin sometimes, and when I do it leads to doubt about my salvation and sometimes discourages me. But I think you capture the idea, if you drift into living for yourself and your own desires instead of living for Jesus, ask God's forgiveness and then start living for Him again. The option to just give up destroys our walk with Him. I do wish more preachers gave a consistent message though. We are saved by grace and we have peace with God, and our repenting post Salvation is to restore our relationship with God, who by our sin we have offended, but our salvation is secure once we truly believe as it is a free gift from God. The above is post salvation...sanctification. But some will take that out of context and create a works gospel out of it. This confuses me sometimes. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Infocyde: I replied days ago, but I did it as an independent post, so you probably weren't notified. I'm redoing it as a reply so you'll be notified. Here's what I wrote before: You raise good questions, Infocyde. However, to answer them would take more space than what would be appropriate for the comments section. I will answer you as part of at least one other blog post. Thanks for commenting.
      P.s. I've been working on that/those posts...but it is a challenging subject and I want to get it right, so it is taking me some time. Thanks for your patience.

      Delete
  2. I didn't mean to be a distraction, just being honest with some of my struggles lately and valued your input. Don't let me slow you down with whatever you feel God is prioritizing for you, but if you ever get time and circle back around I'd be interested in your comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Infocyde: You aren't a distraction at all. I love getting questions. The interaction is something that makes working with people in person much easier for me than writing. I know you are a more analytically person, so I hope you aren't disappointed. I think sometimes an illustration can be more powerful than just a bunch of analysis. So, I put together a short story to illustrate some ideas about faith versus works. It can be found at http://bit.ly/VDgsAv ... although I'm sure I'll write more about it at some point as it is a very rich topic with a lot of little nuances. I hope you like what I've written and I hope it is helpful to you. Thanks again for commenting and God bless.

      Delete